Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Category 2, Book 5: New-to-me Authors - Kate Atkinson

Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson
999 Challenge Category: New to Me Authors

(Explanation of the Challenge and my categories can be found here.)

Ruby Lennox knew almost from conception that she was unwanted. Her mother Bunty, father George, and sisters Patricia and Gillian live Above the Shop that George and Bunty grudgingly own and run. Ruby insightfully narrates their lives, inserting "footnotes" between each chapter that detail the lives of her ancestors.

I'm finding it difficult to summarize my impressions. The story that unfolds of an ordinary family kept me reading primarily because of Ruby's voice rather than my interest in the characters (I was often annoyed with them) or the plot (internal and retrospective even while being narrated in present tense). At times beautifully descriptive, it was an often unsettling story that I found compelling even when I didn't enjoy it. 3.5 stars.

Cross-posted at the 999 Challenge.

No comments: