Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

by Trenton Lee Stewart
Listening Library (WMA audiobook), 2008
read by Del Ray

The Mysterious Benedict Society, made up of four extremely and intelligent children - Reny, Kate, Sticky, and Constance - of various ages and talents, is back in this amusing tale of clues and mystery and dastardly plots. Mr. Benedict, their benefactor and friend for whom the group is named, is missing, and the evil Ledroptha Curtain has him in his clutches. The children begin following clues that Mr. Benedict has left for them, hoping against hope that they can follow them to Mr. Benedict himself and save their friend.

I enjoyed this story of smart kids and mysterious clues, though it had been so long since I read The Mysterious Benedict Society that I had trouble recognizing even familiar characters. Also, this is a tough book to listen to before bed - it's the equivalent of 11 CDs long, and it took me so long to finish it that I'd forgotten a lot of what happened in the beginning by the time it was over. But Reny and Kate, Sticky and Constance are smart, fun characters and I enjoyed their travels and banter. I will consider reading the third book in the series, but would probably reread the books first to better follow the story.

No comments: