Friday, June 25, 2010

Pete & Pickles

by Berkeley Breathed
New York: Philomel Books (Penguin Young Readers Group), 2008.

This is the story of the unlikely friendship struck up by Pete, a pig, and Pickles, a circus elephant who shelters in his house one night. I picked this up on a whim after the pages I work with told me it was her favorite book. I absolutely loved it! The artwork is lovely and detailed. I enjoyed the humor conveyed in images, such as the pig-centric furniture in Pete's house, and the expressions on the animals' faces. The alliterative writing gives the story a good flow for a read aloud, and the pictures and story work together to present a really adorable, humorous tale. If I ever start collecting picture books to read to my kids someday, Pete & Pickleswill be near the top of the list.

No comments: