Monday, February 14, 2011

These Three Remain

by Pamela Aidan
New York : Touchstone/Simon & Schuster, 2007.

**Spoiler warning** for the first two books in the trilogy, and Pride and Prejudice.

The final book in the Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series wraps up the re-imagining of Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view. Lately returned from his visit to an old friend's, Darcy and his cousin prepare for their yearly trip to Aunt Catherine de Bourgh's.

Ah yes...back on familiar ground. Knowing Pride and Prejudice as well as I do, I was not surprised by the main events in the plot. I loved that the change in perspective meant that I felt bad for Darcy when Elizabeth initially rejected him. My familiarity with the storyline increased my anticipation for familiar scenes revisited rather than taking away from my interest. Secondary characters like Fletcher and Dy Brougham really come into their own, sometimes in unexpected ways. It was one of those books that I was so busy enjoying reading that now I'm at a loss to explain what I loved about it. All in all, I thought this was a fabulous series with a believable take on Darcy's perspective. Aidan purposely left some subplots loose, and I really hope she continues them in further books.

No comments: