Saturday, October 29, 2011

Winter's Here -- Already?

Winter has started, apparently, even though the date says that autumn has barely begun.

Here is the news on the Historic October Snowstorm that I just drove through after work today. There's only a couple of inches, but it's heavy and wet, so I drove s-l-o-w-l-y.

Apparently this isn't even the earliest the northeast United States has been hit with snow. It depends on how you measure it, but according to one article I found, the earliest heavy snowfall in Worcester was 7 1/2 inches on October 10-11, 1979, and the Berkshires were hit with snow on October 5, 1987.

At least I'm at home with my books now! If you've been wondering about the lack of posts lately, it's not that I haven't been reading, just that the books I've chosen lately have not been fast reads. I'm still whittling away at North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, a 500-page classic that I started in September and had to reread the beginning to remember what was going on. I have finished a couple of books, though, so check back in a couple of days or so to see new reviews!

No comments: