Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Completely Subjective "Best Books" List

The start of a new year means it's time to reflect on last year's reading! I finished a total of 156 books, plus 78 volumes of manga, graphic novels, and comics.

Here are my top five books read in 2009 (with links to my reviews, when I have them):

Those that were in my top ten were pretty much impossible to narrow down. Here's a list of "honorable mention" contenders that could have been even longer:

It's fascinating that as I look back on my top reads of the year, the books that stand out aren't always the ones that I rated the highest right after finishing. Instead, they're books that for whatever reason made an impact on me, that I kept thinking about long after I'd finished them and would be reads that I would willingly revisit. I've updated my list in the widget to the right to reflect a "top 20," so there are a few titles there that I didn't include there.

What are some of your favorite books discovered in 2009? What makes them stand out to you?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Looks like we have similar taste. :) I loved Wintergirls, Jellicoe Road, and Frankie Landau-Banks too.

Mary said...

Hi Kelly, thanks for your post! I was actually surprised when I did my favorite books of the year that I didn't have more YA/teen titles, since a lot of what I read is for that age group - The Adoration of Jenna Fox nearly made it, too, but even making up the rules I had to stop listing books somewhere...

Kelly @ IdealistMom.com said...

I know what you mean! It's hard to cull down to the top X for a list like that.

I wanted to email you about a special little blog project, but I couldn't find a contact form or email address. Would you mind emailing me via my Blogger profile email link or leaving a comment on my site so I can get in touch with you? I think you'll like this project! :)