Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Why I Should Read More of My Own Books

Because I may find that I really like them! Like Till We Have Faces, which I've owned for years, and only read a few days ago...

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

The oldest daughter of the King of Glome, Orual, writes her complaint against the gods. She loves the youngest, Psyche, almost as a daughter, especially since Psyche's mother (Orual's stepmother) died in childbirth. Orual's world begins to crumble when Glome is threatened by famine and the possibility of war - the priest of the goddess Ungit tells the King that the only way to prevent both is for Psyche to be sacrificed to the goddess.

While writing her complaints, Orual says the gods hate her. She demands and justifies herself and ultimately reveals herself more honesty that even she expected when she first began. Retelling the myth of Cupid and Psyche, Lewis weaves a tale similar in theme to The Chronicles of Narnia, but more mature both in terms of audience and writing style. Having read many of C.S. Lewis' fiction and nonfiction, I'm surprised it's taken so long for me to read this one. It was definitely worthwhile and I'm sure I'll read it again. 5 stars.

No comments: