Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year...and a Reread

Considering how little of my reading (approximately 10% in 2009, not sure of the exact number last year) is rereading, I'm a little surprised that the first book I finished in 2011 was a reread.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
by J.K. Rowling
New York, NY : Arthur A. Levine Books, 2005.

I'm going to skip over the summary and jump right into my thoughts. As I mentioned earlier when I started my reread of book 4, I would always start to reread the series and peter out somewhere around book 3 or so and never continue with the stories I was less familiar with. So I haven't reread this book since it came out in the summer of '05, and not surprisingly I forgot many of the details. I found that the movie was much closer to my memory, and elements that had not made it into the film were rediscovered in the rereading. I started with the audiobook, found myself getting too impatient to read on (it helped that my sister was rereading at the same time and I wanted to be able to keep up with her) and read over half the book to finish it. I enjoyed the memories especially, and liked the fact that adolescent relationships, while present and believable, are not at the forefront quite as much as the movie made them out to be. I was still pretty emotional by the end, even though I knew what was coming. This is definitely one of the best, if not the best, in the Harry Potter series.

No comments: