Monday, May 4, 2009

Category 5, Book 8: Audiobooks - The Monstrous Regiment

The Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
999 Challenge Category: Audiobooks

Polly Perks runs off to join the army, disguised as a boy, in an attempt to find her brother. Her country of Borogravia has been at war since nobody knows when and appears to be on its last leg when this group of recruits starts its journey. Pratchett explores serious subjects of war and gender relations while telling a story with his trademark humor and wit.

I'm having trouble summarizing the book and describing my thoughts, mostly because it took me almost a month to complete it and I can't remember how far along in the story certain things were revealed. I enjoyed the story, even in its goofiness and even when I could see where things were going. This seems to be another standalone in the Discworld series, though the three books I've read have all been parts of different mini-series, so unrelated to each other. I might try reading them in order now. 4.5 stars.

Cross-posted at the 999 Challenge.

No comments: